Expert Buy to Let Conveyancing Solicitors
Almost 1 in 5 UK households privately rent. That’s over 4.4 million households. Investing in buy to let not only provides a potentially profitable investment but is essential to provide homes to people who cannot yet buy or prefer the flexibility of renting. Our buy to let conveyancing solicitors are here to help.
Purchasing a buy to let property can be complex, and you also need to bear in mind the demanding legal responsibilities of being a landlord.
At Pennine Law, our buy to let conveyancing solicitors offer a specialist service to people looking to purchase or sell buy to let properties. Whether you are a first-time landlord or an experienced investor with an extensive portfolio, we have the expertise and years of experience to assist you.
There are countless ways that investing in buy to let property can challenge you or trip you up:
- If you need financing, you will need a specialist buy to let mortgage.
- If buying in cash, there will be strict checks to verify the source of the money.
- You may be buying a "fixer-upper", which will need careful investigation to ensure it’s a worthwhile investment. For example, planning permission for alterations or additions (or even to allow the property to be used as a house in multiple occupation (HMO)) may be required and might not be available – or even have been rejected in the past.
- You may be buying at auction which, while often presenting bargains and being cost-effective, exposes buyers to legally committing themselves, without full knowledge of the transaction at the point of bidding.
- If the property is an HMO, you need to think about ongoing licensing requirements and the additional challenge of having multiple, unrelated tenants living with one another.
- Whatever kind of buy to let you purchase, you will need to make sure you comply with strict legal responsibilities around building and living standards, health & safety, maintenance and renting to tenants.
- You will need to think about tax, including higher rates of Stamp Duty, Capital Gains Tax upon selling and Income Tax. As solicitors, we are prohibited from offering any tax advice. We always advise going to an independent financial or tax advisor to ensure that you fully understand the implications of any proposed transaction.
Our landlord & tenant team can also provide ongoing advice about complying with your duties as a landlord, from drafting tenancy agreements to resolving disputes with tenants over rent, deposits, breach of tenancy, repairs, or any other issue.
Here’s what you can expect from us:
- Fixed fees – so you know how much your buy to let conveyancing will cost from start to finish.
- Conveyancing Quality Scheme accredited lawyers.
- A friendly team that responds quickly to calls and emails.
- Proactivity – we will chase the other side and push for progress. No delays will ever come from our side.
- Regular updates – so you always know what’s going on.
Three simple steps to get started with our buy to let conveyancing solicitors
- Request a a buy to let conveyancing quote
If you are a private individual looking to invest in property, then you can Find out how much your conveyancing is likely to cost by checking out our fees. You can also give us a call and we’ll provide an instant conveyancing quote.*
- Give us a call or send us a message
We have local offices across Sheffield and Barnsley. You’ll find us in Hoyland, Barnsley Town Centre, Penistone, Attercliffe, Hillsborough and Gleadless. So, give us a call at your nearest branch, or fill in our online enquiry form and we’ll give you a call back as soon as we can.
- Let us work for you
We can start the conveyancing process as soon as you’re happy for us to proceed. Before we start working on your conveyancing, there are a few administrative things we need to get out of the way. For example, we need to verify your identity and you need to review our terms of business.
We’ll also confirm your buy to let conveyancing quote in writing. You can trust that we’ll never go outside this quote unless extra work is required that is absolutely necessary (and even then, we’ll speak to you first and get your confirmation).
* If you are purchasing or selling a buy to let property via a limited company, particularly where that company is using a mortgage or secured loan facility to enable any purchase, much more is required in terms of both director duties and company documentation, in addition to lender requirements. If you are purchasing or selling a property through a limited company, you will need to get in touch with our commercial property department to obtain a bespoke quote for your purchase or sale.
How our buy to let conveyancing solicitors can help you
We can assist with all matters relating to buying and selling buy to let property, including:
- Carrying out property checks and searches and reporting on the legal title.
- Handling buy to let mortgages and liaising with your lender.
- Advising on rights and restrictions, such as boundaries and access.
- Drafting and reviewing all necessary legal documentation and providing clear advice to you.
- Advising on buying and selling buy to let properties at auction.
- Handling sales and purchases of multiple properties and advising on property portfolio management.
- Advising on tenancy agreements and your rights and obligations as a landlord.
Why choose our buy to let solicitors in Sheffield and Barnsley?
Our buy to let conveyancing team are accredited members of the Law Society Conveyancing Quality Scheme (CQS) in independent recognition of our skills in the area of property law.
But what does this mean for you? It means:
- We succeed at what we do – you can trust that your transaction is in safe hands.
- We are skilled at spotting risks before they cause problems, so our clients don’t have to worry about unnecessary delays during their conveyancing.
- We’re open and upfront about our fees. You’ll never be surprised by hidden costs.
- We’re approved to work with a wide range of mortgage lenders, from major high-street banks to small local building societies. This means you can choose the best mortgage deal without having to worry about whether the lender will work with your lawyer.
Get in touch with our buy to let conveyancing solicitors in Sheffield and Barnsley today
Get in touch with our expert buy to let conveyancing solicitors in Sheffield and Barnsley.
We have local offices across Sheffield in Penistone, Attercliffe, Gleadless and Hillsborough, plus offices in Barnsley town centre and Hoyland.
Give us a call at your nearest branch or fill in our online enquiry form and we’ll give you a call back as soon as possible.